Friday 21 September 2012

Didier Drogba 'really happy' at Shanghai Shenhua

Didier Drogba insists he is "really happy" in China and intends to see out his two-and-a-half-year contract at Shanghai Shenhua.
The 34-year-old left Chelsea in the summer to join Shanghai.
Reports of financial instability at the club raised doubts over the Ivorian's future and led to suggestions he could return to the Premier League.
But Drogba has told Football Focus he expects to remain in China until the end of his contract and "maybe more".

Drogba in China

  • Joined Shanghai Shenhua in June after seeing out his contract at Chelsea
  • His future in China was soon in doubt when club owner Zhu Jun, who pays the star's wages, reportedly threatened to withdraw funding
  • Drogba has scored five goals in seven games for the Chinese Super League outfit
Drogba has scored five goals in seven games so far for the Chinese Super League outfit
"I hope more because I'm really happy here," he said. "I miss the Premier League because it's the best league in the world, but really I don't regret my choice.
"I just arrived like two months ago so I'm really happy. I am, I'm really happy here so I have no reasons to leave. I don't want to leave here."
Drogba scored 157 goals during his eight years at Chelsea and was central to the London club's first Champions League title last season.
He arrived at Shenhua midway through the Chinese Super League campaign, eight weeks after ex-Fulham boss Jean Tigana had stepped down as head coach. The side have had a disappointing campaign and are ninth in the table with six games remaining.
"I want to stay here, as long as I can win some trophies with my team and make our fans very happy," added Drogba.
"It's difficult at the moment, but I know that there's hope and I believe."
Drogba, who also denied reports he was not being paid by the Chinese club, described winning the Champions League with Chelsea - he scored the winning penalty in the final - as the "best moment of my career".
"To be able to win it in that kind of game was perfect and it's something you will never forget," he said.
"But you have to carry on in life, so now I am focused on what I can bring to the Chinese league.
"Hopefully, within a few years, when my contract finishes here, I will be sitting with you and talking about how fantastic it was to win the Asian Champions League."

No comments:

Post a Comment